19 March 2015, 6232KB
This Chartered Institution of Highways and
Transportation (CIHT) guideline Planning for Walking:
• describes the characteristics of pedestrian
• lists the benefits of walking,
• identifies factors that discourage walking and how
they can be overcome,
• summarises the legal framework that applies to
• outlines the way that plans and strategies for
pedestrian travel are developed.
As it is a web-based publication that can be modified
relatively easily, CIHT would welcome examples that
build on the content of this guidance for inclusion in
further guidance on the subject.
These guidelines are complemented by another
CIHT document, Designing for Walking (CIHT, 2015),
which covers the design and evaluation of facilities for pedestrians
You will need Adobe Reader to view the document, if you dont have it you can download it here.