Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question? Check out our FAQs to make sure it isn't answered below, before contacting us.

EngTech/IEng/CEng FAQs
  1. How do I know whether I should be applying for EngTech, IEng or CEng?
     This will depend on several factors, including the breadth and depth of your practical experience and your academic qualifications. Your mentor or sponsor should advise you on this. CIHT’s guidance notes for candidates will also help you to decide which qualification is most suitable for you at this stage of your career.
  2. Do my sponsors need to be members of CIHT?
     We would prefer your sponsors to be members of CIHT but, if you are unable to find a CIHT sponsor, we will accept a sponsor who is a member of another related professional engineering institution. Your sponsor will need to have obtained the qualification that you are applying for (ie. if you are applying for CEng, your sponsor will need to be a Chartered Engineer) in a related engineering discipline.
  3. How long does the Professional Review interview last?

     The interview will last around 75 minutes and will start with a 15 minute presentation on a project by you.

  4. What do I need to bring to the Professional Review interview?
     It is essential that you bring your original qualification certificates with you to the interview for verification. If you have difficulties with this, please contact: You will also need to bring an item of identification, such as a passport or driving licence which must include your photograph. It is also advisable to bring along a copy of your portfolio of evidence or application form to refer to.
  5. Does CIHT conduct Professional Reviews outside London?

     As well as London, Professional Reviews are normally conducted in Edinburgh and may be held in other locations according to demand.

  6. What constitutes CPD?

    There are many things that can be classed as CPD. These include: attendance at courses, conferences and seminars, training and mentoring colleagues, reading professional journals, writing technical papers or articles, personal research on technical issues and making in-house or external presentations – any activity that helps you to keep your professional skills and knowledge up-to-date.

  7. When I apply for a qualification, who should I make my cheque payable to?

     Cheques should be made payable to CIHT.

  8. Where should I post my submission to?

     Submissions should be posted to The Education Department, CIHT, 119 Britannia Walk, London, N1 7JE. You are advised to send your submission by recorded or special delivery.

  9. I have an accredited degree. Do I need to submit an Initial Assessment application?

    All candidates are required to submit an application for Initial Assessment so that we can confirm the route that you should take to your chosen qualification. Initial assessment is free of charge. 

  10. Where can I get Word version of the professional review submission forms?

     If you email, we can send you copies of the forms in Word format as an email attachment.

  11. Can you help me with finding a mentor?

     If you are unable to find a mentor please contact and we will assist you.

  12. When is the next submission deadline and interview dates for Professional Review?

    Submission deadlines and interview dates can be found on the CIHT website under the relevant qualification.

    For CEng please click here.
    For IEng please click here.
    For Eng Tech click here.

  13. Is there a submission deadline for Further Learning Reports?

    Further Learning Reports can be submitted at any time during the year.  

  14. Is there a submission deadline for Technical Reports?

    Technical Report synopses can be submitted at any time during the year. Submission deadlines for the full report and interview dates can be found on the CIHT website under the relevant qualification:

    For CEng please click here.
    For IEng please click here.
    For Eng Tech click here.


  15. How much does it cost to apply for EngTech, IEng or CEng?

    All fees are given on the CIHT website:

    For CEng please click here.
    For IEng please click here.
    For EngTech please click here.

  16. How long will it take to assess my Technical Report/Further Learning Report?

     It may take up to six weeks to assess your Technical Report or Further Learning Report.

  17. Do I need to be a member to apply for EngTech, IEng or CEng through CIHT?

     Candidates applying for IEng or CEng through CIHT must be full members of CIHT (MCIHT). EngTech candidates may be Associate Members (AMCIHT). Full membership details can be found on the CIHT website by clicking here.

  18. My qualifications were obtained outside the UK. Can I still apply for EngTech, IEng or CEng?

     Yes, but your qualifications must be equivalent to the relevant academic benchmark set by the Engineering Council. Initial assessment will confirm whether or not your qualifications are deemed equivalent.

  19. Can I transfer my Engineering Council registration to CIHT?

     To transfer your Engineering Council registration, please complete the online form on our website by clicking here.


Question not answered? Contact our Education Team on 020 7336 1571 or click here to email us.