9 November 2017
- Add to iCal / Outlook
World Road Association (UK) Seminar – Afternoon 9th November 2017 at NEC, Birmingham
To book for the WRA event you need to book for Highways UK using the link: http://bit.ly/2xeOCck
Special Projects 2017 - How WRA is utilising its access to national governments and experts to define leading edge thinking on key issues facing the transport sector. This free session will provide a unique perspective on these two projects that will be of widespread interest, and also on the very recently launched World Road Association online Asset Management Manual - not to be missed!!
WRA(UK) Seminar – Afternoon 9th November 2017 at NEC, Birmingham
Introduction to seminar and WRA UK - the Strategic Plan (2016 – 19) insight into the place of Special Projects and Manuals– Andrew Boyle, Chairman of WRA UK 14:00 – 14:20
Session 1 – Unexpected Infrastructure Failures
A reliable transport network is fundamental to a nation's social and economic activity. Unexpected failure of key elements of that network can have a devastating impact. This project draws on experience from across the world to suggest how such failures might be predicted, avoided and, where they do occur, dealt with effectively.
- Welcome—Session Chair: Graham Pendlebury, Director of Local Transport, DfT & UK First Delegate to the World Road Association 2017 14:20—14:25
- Background to Project - Hugh Gillies (Transport Scotland) 14:25 - 14:50
- Description of Project and interim results – Anthony Concannon (Atkins) 14:50 – 15:15
- Q&A 15:15 -15:40 followed by Break 15:40 – 16:00
Session 2 – Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (drones) and World Road Association Asset Management
The use of drones across a range of activities has increased considerably in recent years. This project considers how they are being used - and planned to be used - by transport authorities across the world and draws conclusions on the current state of the art; the advantages and the challenges that the use of drones present.
- Welcome—Session Chair: Roy Brannen, Chief Executive of Transport Scotland and former UK First Delegate of WRA UK (2012-2017) 16:00—16:05
- UK perspective on the use of drones and interim results—Steve Berry OBE (DfT) 16:05 – 16:20
- International asset management (inc. new online manual on road asset management ) - Lila Tachtsi, Director (Atkins) & UK representative on the Asset } Management Technical Committee of the World Road Association 16:20—16:40
- Q&A 16:40 - 16:55 Closing remarks 16:55 -17:00 Andrew Boyle
The latest programme is available here:
WRA event flyer update.pdf
If you have already registered for Highways UK, or have not yet done so, WRA UK would request that you register (very brief - should take 2 minutes) by emailing as follows:
Please note this is a free event. You can book for the paid content for Highways UK, but don't have to to attend the WRA event.
At the NEC Birmingham
Part of Highways UK - session will be held at the A-ONE+ THEATRE
Return to event listing
The fifth CIHT Annual Conference takes place in London on Thursday, 8th March.
The CIHT day-long conference is designed around knowledge sharing interactive sessions, industry leading speakers...
The CIHT Awards Dinner & Ceremony will take place at the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms in London on Thursday, 14th June 2018.
The awards are a celebration of the highways and transportatio...
Date: 7th March 2018
Time: 1800hrs (refreshments) for 1830hrs start
Venue: Bedford TBC
Cost:‘free to attend’ for members and non-members
Date: 16th May 2018
Time: 1900hrs following EoE AGM
Venue: Cambridge Golf and Conference Centre, Hemmingford Abbots, PE28 9HQ
Cost: ‘free to attend’ for members a...
Join us in Torquay for the South West region's Annual Conference and Black Tie Dinner.
Date: Thursday 22nd February 2018
Venue: The Grand Hotel, Torquay, Sea Front, Torbay Road, Torquay...