Find a Proposer or Seconder

If you are applying for Associate, Member or Fellow grade then you must have a Proposer and a Seconder to sign your application form.

The Proposer and Seconder must be Members or Fellows of CIHT or another recognised professional body. If you are resident overseas, your Proposer and Seconder can be members of an equivalent professional body in the country in which you reside.
For example, in the UK, recognised professional bodies include:
Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
Chartered Institute of Management
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
Institution of Civil Engineers
Institution of Structural Engineers
Institute of Highway Engineers
Royal Town Planning Institute
International professional bodies include:
Engineers Australia
Engineers Canada
Engineers Ireland
Hong Kong Institution of Engineering
Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand
If your Proposer or Seconder is a member of a professional body that is not listed above, please contact the Membership team (, to confirm their eligibility.

How to find a proposer/seconder

Here are a few tips to help you:
  • Attend local events to meet CIHT members and make contacts. There is a list of forthcoming events here;
  • Ask your colleagues if they are members of CIHT or another recognised professional body;
  • Put a message on the staff intranet/noticeboard in your office to ask if anyone else is a member of CIHT;
  • We keep a list of CIHT company champions. Please contact to find out if there is one in your company who could help you find a Proposer or Seconder.