Changing your membership grade

bridge banner
If you believe you are ready to transfer your membership grade, you will need to make a transfer application. All election and transfer fees must be paid at the time of application. Applications that are not accompanied by the appropriate fee will not be processed. To transfer your membership grade please download and complete the transfer form found in the Related Documents sections (right hand side).

Retired rates

In regard to transfering to the retired rate, please see the terms and conditions listed in the Retired Rate Form. Applications for this rate should be received at  by 30 November of the year prior to implementation. To transfer to a Retired Rate please complete the form found in the Related Documents sections (right hand side).

Additional Information Requests

Applicants for Fellow, Member or Associate Member may be asked to attend an interview and/or produce evidence relating to their knowledge of transportation.
In exceptional circumstances Council may, in its absolute discretion, refuse to approve an applicant for election at any grade, whether they possess the requisite qualifications or not. Council’s decision to approve or disapprove an applicant for election is final.

Transferring Membership Grades

If you are not sure which grade you are eligible to transfer to, please have a look at the “What membership grade am I?” in the related documents section. If you send through a copy of your CV or provide a summary of your career to date (including your education, training and experience), we can advise you on a suitable grade of membership to apply to transfer to – email
If you already know which grade of membership you wish to transfer to – please use the correct form:
- Transfer to Graduate grade (GradCIHT) – you can apply to transfer on-line: - please quote your student membership number when you apply. If you do not know your membership number, this can be access in the members’ area – or our Membership Team can advise you.
- Transfer to Associate (AMCIHT) or Member (MCIHT) grade – please complete and return the “Grade Transfer Form”, available in related documents.
- Transfer to Fellow (FCIHT) grade – please complete the Fellowship Application Form – guidance notes for Fellowship Applicants are available in Section 13. 
Details of the annual membership fees can be found here:
Please complete and return the appropriate transfer form to us at  If you have any questions transferring your membership grade, please contact our Membership Team - by email or phone +44 (0)20 7336 1571.