The Northern Branch of the CIHT was formed in 1958 from part of the North Eastern Branch in the same year that the first section of motorway was opened in the UK. The Branch which encompassed the Westmorland and Cumberland County areas held its inaugural meeting in the Council Chambers at the Courts, Carlisle on 17 June 1958.
The Branch celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2008 the same year that the last section of the M6/A74, “The Cumberland Gap” officially opened.
The Branch published a commemorative brochure “50 years of service in Cumbria” to mark this milestone.
The articles in the brochure are an indication of the extensive highway construction work being undertaken in the county at the time. Additionally the brochure contains a careers map and the different pathways to professional qualifications.
The Branch also produced a 25th anniversary document in 1983. This document entitled “A short history of the first 25years 1958-1983” provides a fantastic insight into the early days of the Branch with visits to Calder Hall, the Forth Road Bridge, Lancaster Bypass, Wet Sleddale + Haweswater Dams and Tyneside Metro, to name but a few.
Some of the sponsoring companies still exist but may names have gone or been consumed into multi-nationals.