Past Chairs

The branch has a distinguished list of chairmen, many of whom have been recognised for the service given to the Institution and to highways and transportation.

Bookmark

List of Former Branch Chairs

1952 - 1953    H B Cotton, CBE
1953 - 1954    G F Garnett
1954 - 1955    S Hall
1955 - 1956    A E Sweetman
1956 - 1957    G Carpenter
1957 - 1958    W J Marley
1958 - 1959    G T Mileham
1959 - 1960    H J Mann / A A Jackson
1960 - 1961    W J C Cotton
1961 - 1962    G F Garnett
1962 - 1963    R Stroughair
1963 - 1964    Dr W S Hydes
1964 - 1965    D F Esson MBE
1965 - 1966    W C Ireland
1966 - 1967    J R Jacobson
1967 - 1968    A R Dippie
1968 - 1969    J R Tully OBE
1969 - 1970    R F Douglas
1970 - 1971    Professor W F Cassie CBE
1971 - 1972    B W Fenton
1972 - 1973    C F L Girven
1973 - 1974    Professor R White
1974 - 1975    M A Kay
1975 - 1976    A A Jackson
1976 - 1977    W Curtis
1977 - 1978    A H Rhodes MBE
1978 - 1979    J R Tully OBE
1979 - 1980    W J Douglas
1980 - 1981    J A Jeffrey MBE
1981 - 1982    P K Mcllroy
1982 - 1983    D Ward
1983 - 1984    D Ward
1984 - 1985    Professor P J Hills OBE
1985 - 1986    M S Parkin
1986 - 1987    R C Deacon
1987 - 1988    G E Formstone
1988 - 1989    A W Donkin
1989 - 1990    P R Adamson
1990 - 1991    J A Davidson TD
1991 - 1992    D Newbegin
1992 - 1993    F O Crouch
1993 - 1994    P Coates
1994 - 1995    D Stevens
1995 - 1996    R I Elphick OBE
1996 - 1997    A Thompson
1997 - 1998    A Short
1998 - 1999    J M Taylor
1999 - 2000    E J Tutin
2000 - 2001    M J Coulson
2001 - 2002    G Brown
2002 - 2003    J A Davidson TD
2003 - 2004    T Speed
2004 - 2005    M Smith
2005 - 2006    Dr J Nelson
2006 - 2007    J M Barrell
2007 - 2008    D Wafer
2008 - 2009    J Anderson
2009 - 2010    P Humanes
2010 - 2011    R Smith
2011 - 2012    V Holden
2012 - 2013    J A Jeffrey MBE
2013 - 2014    S Herbert
2014 - 2015    N Thorpe


The Branch is honoured to have had two Presidents of the Institution:  Professor W F Cassie, was President in 1967-1968 and Professor Peter Hills in 1992-1993.


North Eastern Branch badge of officeBadge of Office

In 1954, the Secretary of the Institution informed the Branch that it could purchase a badge if it so wished but the Committee considered the cost of £25 to be too high.

The subject was again raised in 1963; unfortunately the estimated cost had doubled in the intervening years but this was overcome by the generous donations of the local companies with whom the membership had connections.

The Badge was presented to the Chairman at a visit to the Darlington Bypass in 1963. However it was not until 1975 that bars bearing the names of past Chairmen were added.

Share
Bookmark
Got a question? info@ciht.org.uk 020 7336 1571