Road Safety is the study and practice of the reduction of deaths and injuries on roads. It is a data led profession with Road Safety practitioners basing their work on the evidence gained primarily through the collection of road casualty data by the Police but sometimes augmented from other sources. The Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, through its Road Safety Panel, is committed to delivering and disseminating “Good Practice” in the field of Road Safety to the profession and members of the general public and assisting Governments, Local Authorities and other organisations in delivering road casualty reduction in the United Kingdom. Best practice is also shared with other Member States throughout the EU.
The Road Safety Panel identifies opportunities and promotes best practice in Road Safety across the Highways and Transportation industry. The role of the Panel is to:
- develop policies and strategies to assist the industry achieve long term casualty reduction
- highlight best practice whether technical, economic or organisational
- promote effective road safety systems which enable policy makers, asset owners and practitioners to plan and implement interventions which will reduce deaths and injuries
- keep the industry informed of developing issues, policies, and practices.
- acts as a bridge between the UK Government and transportation professionals with regard to Road Safety policy and strategy
It does this through:
- Panel meetings
- Articles for Transportation Professional magazine and the CIHT website
- Responses to issues and consultations
- Working with other CIHT panels on cross cutting issues
- Sponsoring and participating in workshops, seminars and conferences
- Producing guidelines on key topics.
- Dissemination of the Road Safety Audit Guidelines.
- The annual Road Safety Award to promote best practice.
- Comments on Government consultations.
- Assistance in the development and management of the Society for Road Safety Auditors.
- Regular conferences on appropriate road safety topics.
If you would like more details on the work of the Panel please contact the Secretary on t: +44 (0)20 7336 1564 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org
CIHT Reports, documents and factsheets
To view CIHT Reports, documents and factsheets follow the link
CIHT Policy Statements
To view CIHT Policy Statements follow the link
Past CIHT event presentations
To view the slides from past CIHT events follow the link
Useful documents, websites and presentations
The below sets out documents, websites and presentations the Road Safety Panel consider important for CIHT members active in road safety.
Making Road Safety Count
PACTS 2015 Parliamentary Consituency Road Safety Dashboard
Understanding the UK's road safety performance
Road Safety GB
Presentations to the Panel - member only access
Bruce Walton Presentation - MAST - MAST - 14 September 2009
Kate Carpenter Presentation - A Safer Way Consultation - September 2009