EU Routes

There are various EU Routes for engineers who are qualified in EU / EEA Member States. Details on these are highlighted below.

For any queries, please contact us on e:


Bookmark in MyCIHT

EU Route to UK Professional Registration

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) who is qualified to practice as an Engineer your home EU/EEA Member State, then you may apply to become a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or an Engineering Technician in the UK under the provisions of EU Directive 2005/36.

To apply to CIHT for CEng, IEng or EngTech via the EU route, you should complete the EU Route Application form and submit:

  • A covering letter
  • Detailed CV
  • Evidence of membership of a recognised professional engineering institution in your home EU state
  • Statements of recommendation from two sponsors, who are professionally qualified engineers in the UK or another EU member state
  • Continuing Professional Development (CPD) record demonstrating you have undertaken a minimum of 25 hours a year of CPD for the two years prior to making your application
  • A cheque for the application fee (£130) made payable to CIHT

Applicants should normally have at least 5 years’ practical engineering experience before applying to CIHT for professional registration.

Your sponsors’ statements should confirm that, in their opinion, you have demonstrated the required level in each of the in four competences and one commitment that make up the relevant Standard, namely:

  • Knowledge and understanding
  • Application to practice
  • Leadership and management
  • Interpersonal Skills
  • Personal commitment to professional standards

Your sponsors should also sign your CV to confirm that, to the best of their knowledge, the detail is correct.

Full details of the Standards can be found in the Engineering Council document UK-SPEC.

CIHT reviewers assess all EU Route applications and may invite applicants to an interview to discuss the way in which they have applied their skills and knowledge in a UK context if this is not clearly demonstrated in the application.
Please send all of the above documents plus the completed application form to e:

EU Route Application form 

EUR ING Registration

Professional engineers and engineering technicians who are registered with the Engineering Council can be recognised across the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) under Directive 2005/36: Recognition of Professional Qualifications (as amended by Directive 2013/55).

The Engineering Council is the UK National Member of the European Federation of National Engineering Associations (FEANI). If you are a Chartered Engineer in the UK, you can apply for EUR ING registration. If you are professionally registered in another European country, you should contact the FEANI National Member for that country for information about how to apply.

All applications for EUR ING registration are assessed by FEANI’s European Monitoring Committee (EMC). This meets four times a year. The assessment process may take up to six months, or longer if your application is incomplete or the EMC requests further information.

EUR ING registration recognises a combination of education, training and experience amounting to a minimum of seven years. Competence based routes are also recognised

EUR ING registrants are entitled to use the title EUR ING in front of their name eg EUR ING J Smith CEng.

How to apply

Applications from UK CEng registrants should be made using the application form on the FEANI website. Two copies of the form, plus the initial fee of £210, should be sent to CIHT, or the institution through which you register with the Engineering Council.

For more information please contact e:

Bookmark in MyCIHT
Got a question? 020 7336 1571